Git vs SVN comparison¶
Overall SVN easier to get into and is more accessible due to the
excellent app called TortoiseSVN (TSVN).
It is a GUI tool that allows you easy execution of all important
standard workflow commands via good explorer integration.
- TSVN @ wikipedia: Short and good feature summary.
- TSVN home site: Features of TSVN section contains many links to
pictures to give you an good idea of the tool and its look.
Git has a not yet such excellent tools.
However TortoiseGit (TGit) is in heavy and rapid development.
Git GUI, part of the standard windows git package, and especially
the all-in-one package gitExtensions are work well.
Pros of git¶
Cons of git¶
- Distributed Version Control with Git 50 minutes screencast.
Explains VBS in general, pros of distributed ones and
- Git Overview Demo 30 minutes screencast. Quite nice video
explaining in detail and easy to understand how to do
the basic operations on command line. Great way to get
into the basic workflow and possibilities of VCS.
Also show git GUI briefly.
- git-gui screencast 6 minute screencast.
Explains basic workflow of git GUI and shows how to
stage and commit single line(s).
This allows small, atomic commits easily! No longer worry
about changing several aspects at the same time.
You can sort the commits later on smoothly with this.
- GitExtension videos tutorials: