Git vs SVN comparison¶
- Git vs SVN comparison
Overall SVN easier to get into and is more accessible due to the
excellent app called TortoiseSVN (TSVN).
It is a GUI tool that allows you easy execution of all important
standard workflow commands via good explorer integration.
Git has a not yet such excellent tools.
However TortoiseGit (TGit) is in heavy and rapid development.
Git GUI, part of the standard windows git package, and especially
the all-in-one package gitExtensions are work well.
Pros of git¶
Cons of git¶
- GitCasts: Git on Windows. 13 minute screencast.
Nice straight forward introduction to git; installing git on windows, using git GUI. Needs basic understanding of VCS.
- Distributed Version Control with Git 50 minutes screencast.
Explains VBS in general, pros of distributed ones and
- Git Overview Demo 30 minutes screencast. Quite nice video
explaining in detail and easy to understand how to do
the basic operations on command line. Great way to get
into the basic workflow and possibilities of VCS.
Also show git GUI briefly.
- git-gui screencast 6 minute screencast.
Explains basic workflow of git GUI and shows how to
stage and commit single line(s).
This allows small, atomic commits easily! No longer worry
about changing several aspects at the same time.
You can sort the commits later on smoothly with this.
- GitExtension videos tutorials:
- Hasan on GIT: 20 minutes recording of git presentation.
Fair job and bit more interactive and fun due the present audience.
- GitCasts: Git Diff: 9 minute screencast. Command line used.
This episode goes over some of the common or interesting options to 'git diff',
showing how to see what has changed between your last commit and your staged files,
unstaged files, all changed files or another commit.
We also demonstrate how to create and apply patchfiles and
how to view changed file stats using diff.
- Basic SVN: 13 minutes screencast. Basic intro to Tortoise SVN,
and some of the basic function that should be used when working on a project.
- Tutorial: using tortoisesvn, subversion on windows: 20 minute screencast.
Nice introductory tutorial on subversion using tortoisesvn covering creating
a repository, checking in, merging and some basic version control issues.
- Learning how to resolve conflicts within Subversion (SVN) using TortoiseSVN
6 minute screencast. Nice short video explaining conflicts and how to resolve them with TSVN.
- Apache and TortoiseSVN. 20 minutes screencast.
In case you want to setup your own SVN repository on a server with apache.