Feature #5671

Lean animation should change camera up vector

Added by zGuba over 5 years ago. Updated almost 4 years ago.

Status:Assigned Start date:11/05/2009
Priority:Normal Due date:
Assignee:- % Done:

0%

Category:Animations
Target version:-
Affected ArmA II version: First affected ArmA II version:
Reproduced by another DH user:No Single / Multi Player?:
I am using some Mods:No BIForumURL:
I am using: NGUrl:
Reproducible for you:No WIKIurl:
Related to content of DLC:

Description

Like rolling on the ground, leaning is expected to cause your perception to be rotated a bit.


Related issues

related to ARMA2 Community Issue Tracker - Feature #9213: Tilt the optics on scoped weapons, when you lean Assigned 02/20/2010
related to A.C.E. for OA - Feature #22248: Improve leaning Rejected 07/12/2011

History

Updated by Suma over 5 years ago

I am not sure how realistic this would be if implemented.

We have considered this, but our conclusion was:
By leaning you change your physical viewport, however you do not change your perception. Together with the stability system you have in your ears the brain seems to be very good at compensating the lean.

Updated by Fireball over 5 years ago

While I basically agree your assessment of the capabilities of the human brain, it does not straighten out the crosshairs/aiming helps towards the ground unless you had a Z-shaped neck as in #5671.

Those two facts/assessments probably contradict eachother.

OTOH it should be possible to really tilt the camera, when scoped in (real zoom scope, not aimpoint) - I think our brain is not easily able to compensate that even in reality.

Updated by zGuba over 5 years ago

Suma wrote:

I am not sure how realistic this would be if implemented.

We have considered this, but our conclusion was:
By leaning you change your physical viewport, however you do not change your perception. Together with the stability system you have in your ears the brain seems to be very good at compensating the lean.

It was done such way in Soldier of Fortune and I must admit that it wasn't much painful - after a while I got used to it.

Bigger problem might be handling of TrackIR devices, but I simply don't know how leaning works there.

Updated by Suma over 5 years ago

"straighten out the crosshairs/aiming". It is not crosshairs which are straightened - it really is the animation, in which the soldier is holding the weapon straight. This is done on purpose and you would do it in real file as much as possible, because otherwise the aiming will be badly off - the weapon sights assume weapon vertical position is really vertical (this is related to weapon zeroing).

Updated by Fireball over 5 years ago

Suma wrote:

"straighten out the crosshairs/aiming". It is not crosshairs which are straightened - it really is the animation, in which the soldier is holding the weapon straight.

I looked at the animation in 3rd person and the weapon is not straight at all when leaning.

But now as you talk of it I've seen the Indian special forces shooting (at the hotel hostage cases last year) around corners with their MP5s by just holding the weapon straight around and not leaning at all. All you can do is suppression fire that way though...

Back to the game: I think if you closely watch the animation you'll also see that it's tilted and you can only shoot seriously if you push the weapon against your shoulder; so either the weapon or the head must be tilted and the latter about 90°, also this works only on your shooting eye side (right for me), on the left side I'd have to lean like currently modeled in the game and the optics would be tilted and - doubtless - it's hard to hit that way.

Updated by Alex72 over 5 years ago

I kind of agree with Suma. I voted yes before i had my thaughts made completelly, but when leaning i think you try to have your head as much upright as possible when firing or it gets a little disorientating. Maybe a slight tilt would be good, but not as much as the body lean wich would make my vote still valid. :) Still though would really want the scope reticule to tilt.

Updated by alef over 5 years ago

  • CPU changed from Please specify! to n/a

Suma wrote:

the weapon sights assume weapon vertical position is really vertical (this is related to weapon zeroing).

But if you fire from the grenade launcher while leaned, the grenade flies not vertical.

Updated by zGuba over 5 years ago

alef wrote:

Suma wrote:

the weapon sights assume weapon vertical position is really vertical (this is related to weapon zeroing).

But if you fire from the grenade launcher while leaned, the grenade flies not vertical.

Sounds interesting. I think that the best solution would be to make player hold his weapon straight while leaned.

Updated by Fireball almost 4 years ago

  • Subject changed from Lean animation changing camera up vector to Lean animation should change camera up vector

Also available in: Atom PDF