AI Convoy driving/pathfinding is terrible
|Target version:||1.63 BETA|
|Affected ArmA II version:||1.62.95248||First affected build:||Pre 1.59|
|Reproduced by another DH user:||Yes||First affected ArmA II version:|
|I am using some Mods:||No||Single / Multi Player?:||Both|
|I am using:||CO (OA+A2)||BIForumURL:|
|Reproducible for you:||Yes||NGUrl:|
|Related to content of DLC:||WIKIurl:|
Convoy driving is impossible/terrible since the latest versions.
Random things happen during their convoy drive which the following are just some examples:
- Randomly overtaking each other
- Ramming constantly into other vehicles back
- Ramming themselves randomly into houses/walls/objects at side of chosen route/road
- Ramming other cars in front or at side while overtaking into houses or walls (often resulting in critical damage for lighter pushed-away vehicles
- Randomly moving away from mainroad and landing into woods, even though the main-road would be the fastest way to achive the next waypoint
Convoy Vehicles maintain constantly distance to other group-vehicle in front, each vehicle staying on the choosen road by the convoy-leader and not trying to do whatever strange things.
- Load attached mission
- Do what your groupleader tells you (get in cargo of the LAV)
- As soon as your in the vehicle go into 3rd person view
- Watch the behavior of the three AI vehicles
- And run this scenario a couple of times.
When you set the move WP to safe/careless, the AI does pretty well.
Might be related to the HMMWV driving off alone though.
However LAV and Stryker maintain convoy formation pretty well
Updated by mr.g-c almost 5 years ago
Updated by F2kSel almost 5 years ago
There does seem to have been some regression although I don't think the way the convoy is set up helps.
I find it better to keep the vehicles separate from the cargo.
Better still is to have separate waypoints for each vehicle.
A few things I've noticed in testing is that when the lead vehicle makes a tight turn it does so relatively easily, the second unit seems to over run the corner a little, the third by even more ect until they're completely messed up.
Also to help vehicles I've used this disableAi "FSM" which works really well for single vehicles but don't use it in convoy or they simply can't drive more than a few meters without swerving off the road, the leader is unaffected.
Updated by Fireball almost 5 years ago
- Due date set to 02/26/2012
- Reproduced by another DH user changed from No to Yes
Updated by kju over 4 years ago
- Description updated (diff)
- Due date deleted (
- Operating system deleted (
Win7 64 bit)
- Graphics card deleted (
Toxic Radeon 4890)
- Affected ArmA II version changed from 1.60.87580 to 1.61.94945 RC1
- CPU deleted (
- Mainboard chipset deleted (
Updated by F2kSel over 4 years ago
- File Bug_convoy.utes.7z added
A small observation I've noticed.
When I set up a convoy to move out of Utes Air base they do so without much fuss - But if I make one of the tanks gunners playable and switch to that unit tanks slew across the road and get stuck, this happes around the gate house just past the junction.
This also happens if I attach the player to the last tank again they get stuck. It seem that when a player is in a vehicle other vehicles in the group are strangely hampered in some way.I've attached a small repro
- Just run the mission and observe AI driving out of Utes.
Update: For some reason now it's started doing it even without the player being in the tank
Then restart the mission and switch to gunner (press T button) for some reason now they get stuck for no reason.
Updated by Thomas86 about 4 years ago
AI squad leader should always board the first car to avoid problems.
Updated by kju about 4 years ago
- File ConvoyFullCombat.Chernarus.7z added
- File ConvoyFullCareless.Chernarus.7z added
- File ConvoyCombatMode.jpg added
Another example mission.
In combat its total carnage, while in careless/safe its quite good.
Updated by kju about 4 years ago
- File ConvoyLimitedSafe.Chernarus.7z added
- File 1_ConvoyLimitedSafe.jpg added
- File 2_ConvoyLimitedSafe.jpg added
- File 3_ConvoyLimitedSafe.jpg added
- File 4_ConvoyLimitedSafe.jpg added
- File 5_ConvoyLimitedSafe.jpg added
Now with limited speed even in careless/safe mode it doesn't work well.
Here the 2nd HMMWV and even more the truck drive very wonky and are unable to stick to the road.
This makes the convoy very slow too.