Bug #16368

AI does not fire at several vehicles depending on ammo types

Added by test about 4 years ago. Updated over 3 years ago.

Status:Closed Start date:01/01/2011
Priority:Normal Due date:
Assignee:- % Done:

100%

Category:Config
Target version:1.13
Component: Affected Version:
Close Reason:

Description

Tungiska, Shilka and MI-24V do not fire at a AH-64D kind of weapon such as 2A38M, Yakb when their crew is Al. This problem link to wrong value of parameter Cost in class of AH64D in config

AI_dofire.rar - - fixed 1 (1.2 kB) test, 01/22/2011 17:46

AI_dofire.rar (1.2 kB) test, 01/23/2011 16:59

ai_dofire.rar (1.7 kB) test, 01/24/2011 00:31


Related issues

related to A.C.E. for OA - Bug #16298: M2 tripods will not engage BRDMs and BTRs. Kord and DShKM... Closed 12/28/2010 01/21/2011
related to A.C.E. for OA - Feature #16223: AI should engage from long range with heavy/CSW Rejected 12/24/2010
duplicated by A.C.E. for OA - Bug #18419: T-72s engage A-10 with coaxial PK but not rooftop NPV Duplicate 03/23/2011

History

Updated by zGuba about 4 years ago

Actually it is the problem I have reported on CIT, that AI gunners under AI command make no use of their weapon against certain targets.

The problem persists f.e. for Mi-24 vs Mi-24, Shilka vs Mi-24 and the situation described in that ticket.

I don't know how to fix it. Maybe problem lies in ammo cost vs something in vehicle model (that has to be checked for)

Updated by Xeno about 4 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Assigned
  • Assignee changed from VKing to zGuba
  • Target version set to 395

Updated by test about 4 years ago

zGuba, most probably the problem appears through too great or little value of parameter Cost in ammo classes and behaviour Al indicates that. Necessary to experiment with that. There are problems with other vehicles also. Example, Al do not use some available weapons against btr-70 (M2A2 do not fire at that APFSDS-T)

Updated by Sickboy about 4 years ago

  • Status changed from Assigned to Feedback
  • % Done changed from 0 to 10

test wrote:

zGuba, most probably the problem appears through too great or little value of parameter Cost in ammo classes and behaviour Al indicates that. Necessary to experiment with that. There are problems with other vehicles also. Example, Al do not use some available weapons against btr-70 (M2A2 do not fire at that APFSDS-T)

Perhaps you can assist with the experimentation?

Updated by Sickboy about 4 years ago

  • Subject changed from AI does not fire at a AH-64D to AI does not fire at several vehicles depending on ammo types

Updated by Sickboy about 4 years ago

Related: #16298

Updated by test about 4 years ago

Sickboy wrote:

Perhaps you can assist with the experimentation?

Yes, of course. But I will can start tomorrow

Updated by kju about 4 years ago

Keep in mind that some weapons have faulty engagement ranges.
So when too close or too distant some weapons are no longer used by AI.

Updated by test about 4 years ago

Experiments showed that the problem have not been parametr "cost" in config. I could force to fire AI at the vehicles by the use of scripting commands (dotarget and dofire). I think it is official bug and it depend on FSM and other scripts for AI

Updated by test about 4 years ago

I forgot to say that AI will fire at the vehicles if parameter "hit" for the ammo in CfgAmmo had been increased. But I do not not recommend to do this although it is easiest way for fix that because it affects characteristics of the ammo and leaves mod from reality

Updated by Sickboy about 4 years ago

  • Assignee changed from zGuba to VKing

Cheers

Updated by test about 4 years ago

Sickboy, if only you could see matter in my honest comments...

Updated by VKing about 4 years ago

If increasing hit resolves the issue, and you say don't do that, then what would you suggest?

Updated by test about 4 years ago

VKing wrote:

If increasing hit resolves the issue, and you say don't do that, then what would you suggest?

If problem is with AI then what does change other things for? It will resolve one problem and create new problems. I suggest not great script that will force AI fire at the target (scripting commands dotarget and dofire will help to do that)

Updated by test about 4 years ago

  • File AI_dofire.rar added

I had completed testing of my addon that forces to fire AI at the targets. It is very nice! Because FSM does not work in multiplayer correctly I do not use it.

Instruction for using addon:
1. Move file "AI_dofire.pbo" to your Addons folder.

Because I made this addon for ACE, I determine to use CBA therefore CBA is required.

Description of addon
This addon fixes AI behaviour when it do not use own weapons against some targets although it is able to attack the enemy successful. I use scripts only and do not change any parameters of weapon or ammo classes

Updated by VKing about 4 years ago

  • Assignee changed from VKing to Sickboy

Scripters, assemble!
(I don't know enough scripting to know if it's feasible)

Updated by Sickboy about 4 years ago

  • Assignee changed from Sickboy to VKing

VKing, we looked at configs and values last week, and found out the cause of the problems, and you were solving it.
No need to apply scripting for things that are plain wrong config settings?

@Test: What FSM problems in MP are you referring at?

Updated by test about 4 years ago

I do not use FSM because it requires very hard calculations of processor (performed without scheduling).

Sickboy wrote:

@Test: What FSM problems in MP are you referring at?

Many scripters say this

VKing, we looked at configs and values last week, and found out the cause of the problems, and you were solving it.

No need to apply scripting for things that are plain wrong config settings?

Sickboy, I see you do not know about parameters of config quite. Increasing of parameter "hit" will lead to damage's increase to all game objects (example houses) by the affected ammo. Problem is with BIS settings and scripts for AI and their simplifications of all things (it is continuing from time of ofp).

Updated by Sickboy about 4 years ago

FSM's aren't performed without scheduling actually. Even the condition fields get scheduled when load is high.
FSM's simply need manual handling of sleeps by loops, something that is taken care of with sleep in sqf scripts.
A sleep is nothing more than a loop checking passed time versus waitTime anyway.
Performance should be basically identical.

I also fail to see how that relates to 'MP problems with fsms', but anyway, fsm or sqf, it doesn't matter.

I nowhere wrote that we should increase the Hit parameter, what I meant is that VKing and me did research last week,
and in it we had found the reason why for instance M2 didn't fire on some targets, where-as KORD would.
The behaviour is not only influenced by the config hit parameter, but by more.
My message to VKing simply means: Why don't we apply the config correction (not Hit necessairly), instead of resorting to forcing fire by script.
When-ever a config solution can be implemented, it has very much the preference over scripted solutions, especially when it involves scripts that have to run for every vehicle.
If it really isn't solvable by config, then your script is very welcome.

I would appreciate it if you would stop assuming and opinionating my person, and just focus on the subject :)

Updated by test about 4 years ago

  • File AI_dofire.rar added

Just I have fixed script and it is working far faster.

Updated by test about 4 years ago

Please delete all previous files

Updated by Sickboy about 4 years ago

  • File deleted (AI_dofire.rar)

Updated by Sickboy about 4 years ago

  • File deleted (AI_dofire.rar)

Updated by Sickboy about 4 years ago

test wrote:

Please delete all previous files

Sure, NP, and thanks! we'll be finalizing this issue soon.

Updated by test about 4 years ago

Updated by test about 4 years ago

Because FSM has not any MP problems, I have used FSM

Updated by Sickboy about 4 years ago

Thanks, which OA code is missing from config? Sounds like we can simply add it?

Updated by rocko about 4 years ago

Status?

Updated by rocko about 4 years ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to Closed
  • Close Reason set to Cannot reproduce

Updated by rocko about 4 years ago

  • Target version deleted (395)

Updated by rocko about 4 years ago

Maybe the damageResistance value needs to be adjusted ....

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgVehicles_Config_Reference#damageResistance

Updated by test about 4 years ago

Sickboy, have you progress of solving the problem? And why "cannot reproduce" and close status when bug is not fixed?

Updated by Sickboy about 4 years ago

  • Status changed from Closed to In progress
  • Target version set to 1.10
  • % Done changed from 10 to 20
  • Close Reason deleted (Cannot reproduce)

Because Rocko apparantly likes to close tickets prematurely.

Updated by rocko about 4 years ago

Oh, I am so sorry to have closed this one.
I was under the impression that asking for a status (could also mean 'Hello?? Give us feedback about the issue, Mr reporter, pplsssss') and additionally not being able to reproduce it would have been sufficient for closing a ticket, noone else appearently seems to be able to reproduce.

My bad.

Updated by rocko almost 4 years ago

  • Status changed from In progress to Feedback
  • Target version changed from 1.10 to 1.11

Updated by TheBlessedPig almost 4 years ago

I also now encountered a similar bug where an AI controlled T-34 won't fire at an M1A1 TUSK CSAMM (USMC Desert version). Is this supposed to be like this?

Updated by rocko almost 4 years ago

  • Target version changed from 1.11 to 395

Updated by rocko over 3 years ago

  • Target version changed from 395 to 1.13

Updated by rocko over 3 years ago

  • Due date set to 09/30/2011

The OP's reported case

Tungiska, Shilka and MI-24V do not fire at a AH-64D

works for me in the editor (also vice versa) with current dev version and latest beta patch.

T-34 won't fire at an M1A1 TUSK CSAMM (USMC Desert version)

Seems to be still an issue.

Updated by rocko over 3 years ago

In addition, it seems some damageResistance values are broken due to changed ARMOR and HIT values for certain vehicles and ammo configs.
See #24536

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgVehicles_Config_Reference#damageResistance and http://dev-heaven.net/issues/16368#note-31

Our ammo guys should fix it.

Updated by rocko over 3 years ago

  • % Done changed from 20 to 50

Updated by rocko over 3 years ago

  • Due date deleted (09/30/2011)
  • Status changed from Feedback to Resolved
  • Assignee deleted (VKing)
  • % Done changed from 50 to 100

Re: T34 not firing at M1 tanks, this seems plausible since the engine prevents AI engaging target that they cannot deal with, hence the damageResistance value. AI considers their weapons useless and does not engage.

If any other constellations appear where AI is not firing: Open new ticket

Updated by Sickboy over 3 years ago

  • Status changed from Resolved to Closed

Available in the about to be released ACE for OA 1.12 Update 1.

Updated by iEnemY over 3 years ago

  • Priority changed from Normal to Low

Updated by iEnemY over 3 years ago

  • Priority changed from Low to Normal

Also available in: Atom PDF