Rhapsody 2011... Domination based or something else?

Added by Rarius about 5 years ago

While Chernarus Rhapsody was fun and a little different to a vanilla Domination, it was still essentially Domination with tweaks.

When Tanky and I discussed the next project, we both seemed to concider doing something totally different for the next mission. I'd like to throw a possible proposal out there for consideration and comment...

1. We conduct a survey of all the CR players asking for ideas for Rhap2K11. Islands theyve seen, game types they like, features of missions that stood out.
2. We design a new mission from the ground up.
3. We build it and play test it for months
4. We aim to have it ready next summer and don't "release" it until it is really ready!

Comments?

Replies (15)

RE: Rhapsody 2011... Domination based or something else? - Added by Tankbuster about 5 years ago

Duala Rhapsody would be quite quick to do and might sustain the guys while we move on. Bushy has already done Duala Domination, so to Rhapsodify it would be quite quick, it's mostly about changing the squads, removing teleport and fixing a few bits, all of which we've done before. This would keep the players busy while....

RE: Rhapsody 2011... Domination based or something else? - Added by Tankbuster about 5 years ago

... we move on.

We've already discussed our TvT AAS concept and overall I like it, though the town governer principle seems a bit tacked on.

RE: Rhapsody 2011... Domination based or something else? - Added by Rarius about 5 years ago

I'm not trying to sow decent or anything, its just I have heard a few people (namely Rob) whinging about getting bored with Domination. I thought it would be nice for the players, not to mention the coders, to play something different for a change.

We can do both. Duala Rhapsody will only take a day or two to make. Rhapsody TvT is a much bigger project, we should give the players something to play with in the meantime.
There are a few other missions coming out for OA as well. Does Rob even have OA?

RE: Rhapsody 2011... Domination based or something else? - Added by Lincks about 5 years ago

I would like to see multipul terrian ie: desert,woods,mountains,see and at least one island, Progresive missions working across the map (not asking a lot just a suggestion?)

Duala has some nice varied terrain, and we can turn on enemy recaptures and up the enemy island patrols, that should do what you want?

RE: Rhapsody 2011... Domination based or something else? - Added by PogMoThoin about 5 years ago

But getting people to play Duala will be the struggle, when Takistan is the latest island and looks and plays amazingly. I'm sick of Duala, We played it to death. Skip Duala and do Takistan, with all OA stuff

With Rhapsody 2011 I feel a whole new concept is needed, people tire of Domination quickly, We're playing it at the moment on Takistan, but we'll be back to custom coops as soon as good ones start to appear (next week). Of course lots of idea's (even scripts) can be taken from Domi

Taki isn't ideal for Domi, there's no big towns for a start, but we can see if we can tweak the mission to make it work.

As you say, there's a lot of good scripts within Domination.

RE: Rhapsody 2011... Domination based or something else? - Added by PogMoThoin about 5 years ago

Actually, You'd be suprised, Domi works very well on Takistan. We've been playing it the last two days and it makes very interesting play. The villages feel more like real villages than they did in Chernarus and all the mountains make it really difficult. The mountains are very high, the pilots have to plan their routes carefully, some villages have only one approach route and the enemy are lethal in OA, harder than Arma2.

Big towns only cause lag clientside IMO

And before we write off Domination, don't forget the TvT version, just had a quick mess with it in preview. Only works on Chern at the moment, but might offer some new fun while Rarius writes code. :)

What I'd like to do at this point is decide on a naming policy.

I think Rhapsody should be reserved for Domination based games, with the island name included, appended with the game type. So the TvT Domination Bush is making at the moment would be TvT Takistan Rhapsody.

Fandago is the name of the side swapping TvT mentioned here

The TvT AAS that Rarius is proposing will need another name, perhaps Scaramouche, Galileo, Figaro or Bismillah.

RE: Rhapsody 2011... Domination based or something else? - Added by Rarius about 5 years ago

I'm quite happy to rename this project, but you're the one who started this Dev-Heaven area as "Rhapsody Projects"... ;-p

Can we keep the new project under the Rhapsody banner?

Personally I like "Figaro". Its short and punchy. The other names are a bit too long.

Rhapsody; Thunderbolts and Lightning (very very frightening) :p

Just thought of a new version... Its a sort of TvT, but one team is just one guy armed with a shotgun and pistol, the other team have G36s, helicopters and a Tornado. I think it should be called Northumbria Rhapsody.

RE: Rhapsody 2011... Domination based or something else? - Added by kdjac about 5 years ago

They seek him here they seek him there, good aul rauel is on the tear.. He's outta the nick, he's off his head, a copper was shot and a puff is dead... He's on the run and can't be found but I need a favour and i'v 20 pound.. Come shoot my mrs, she's a grumpy bitch and we'll all have a piss up in classy Norwich....

(1-15/15)