Which island is next for Rhapsody coop?

Added by Tankbuster about 5 years ago

Bushlurker said this to me, I hope he doesn't mind me reproducing it here, he doesn't say anything too controversial.

[quote]The Dom I previously ported was the "Everon West AI" one - only 18 main targets in that anyway - which is why I used it... speaking of which - as a blast from the past you might consider Sgt Ace's Everon sometime - I think it was also upscaled a little so it's bigger.... good framerates too...

Duala - yeah - Ices islands are nice, though they're essentially banged out to a formula... landscape and textures, masks, etc are autogenerated and the settlements are largely cut 'n paste template based...
He also has a tendency to release early, then fill in gaps later - theres a lot more on Duala than there was when it was first released - though, as you say - whole areas are still pretty empty... "scrubland" - not as consistently settled as the woodland/euro style terrain...

I dunno Tanky - Duala has its good points... cqb'ing around in between the corrugated iron shanty huts can be a nightmare - in a good way, and it captures the general atmosphere quite well and looks good... though I'm not a big fan of the clutter - you don't see that in Dom, so that's OK...
However, as you say - theres huge tracts of land where there isn't much at all... probably earmarked for future expansion... the big towns like Kinsella etc are recent additions to the original release - I suspect more will follow...
It's a 3-month in the making User Island and it occasionally shows in places... made up for with some of the matching other content he has I guess...
It's well popular though...

Alternatives?

Podagorsk, I guess... it's very well made... less obviously cut 'n pasted... it's also the double of Cherno to be honest - all stock A2 objects and dressing...

SgtAce's Everon... well, Xeno picked up on this one - in preference to Panthera, I believe - as his alternative terrain/smaller but better framerates option... It's Old Mr Familiar to play on - it's Everon Plus basically... worth a look I guess for the Blast From The Past angle alone... its a faithful rendering of the original done by the guy who - literally - wrote the book on A2 island making...

Panthera... done from (quite compressed) realworld data, it's tight and claustrophobic among the mountains - of which there are a great many - kinda reminds me a little of what my scotland map is turning out like... I did a Dom for this too... played well, but of course with only a few players... you'd need to go for a wee drive aboot with an AI chauffeur and see what you think... it's probably my favourite of Ice's islands - done before he got all the tools and templates its a bit more hand-made and personal... is it suitable for Rhapsody though? Hmmm... maybe not... it'd sure be hectic with 4 or 5 teams taking one of the (pretty small) towns when theres shedloads of armour...
It's an A1 island ported to A2, so it doesn't look[I] too [/I]like Cherno...

Thirsk & Winter Thirsk
Just lovely... especially Winter Thirsk... (Try "VanHa"'s pack of small scale OFP-style coops for these islands sometime! Great fun!)
However - they're 5x5km.... FAR too small for Rhapsody...

Guess that's it, more or less... there's Sbrodj & Quesh Kibrul... not bad, though I'm not a huge fan of Old Bears color schemes, especially with the clutter off... they're verree Frrrench y'know... right down to the in-joke placenames... haven't played em much and suspect they're also a bit small for Rhapsody...
However, I did do a Dom for Sbrodj, which got a fair old number of downloads, so I guess it played ok...

Duala is probably the most popular non-Cherno looking adequately sized pick of the bunch I suppose...

I guess since Xeno seemed to think it big enough, Sgt Ace's Everon has to be a contender too - I'm sure you're fully familiar with the original... [URL="http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7913"]Here's[/URL] the A2 version (he never formally released it on the Forums)

...and in 3rd place I guess - Panthera...

It's gotta be your decision in the end, mate... Rhapsody is your baby...

As far as porting is concerned (and I notice Xeno's up to V2.17 since we spoke last!!) - I have coords for 18 Duala main targets - I can add more and do sidemissions easily enough, it's just number-swapping, plus a bit of number-collecting...

For Everon, all the relevant numbers - including sidemissions hopefully - could just be lifted from a previous Xeno version - the towns haven't moved...

For Panthera... well, same deal as Duala - I did a Panthera port a while back, so maybe just some additional towns and sidemissions would need added...

Dom v2 base arrangement is a little different - assets which spawn might need new coords, etc - no biggie, and the rest is just an editor shuffling job... that would apply to any of the above...

No big deal on any of these - whatever you decide, it can probably be done in an evening no probs...

Alors, mon Capitaine, it's up to yooo...:p?[/quote]

Replies (4)

RE: Which island is next for Rhapsody coop? - Added by Tankbuster about 5 years ago

I have printed Duala out, I can only see 19 main missions, which is enough for 4 routes, but only 3 of the mains are in the north east and 5 of them are on seperate islands.

It runs and looks lovely though, I adore the shanty neighbourhoods in each town and the river feature is nice too, boats won't be able to traverse it though. What the island layout does have going for it it the waterways would envourage air transport and the little towns mean we don't have to colocation main and side missions.

I can't make my mind up.. if only it had 1 more large town in the NE, it would be almost perfect. How much work is it to add a town ourselves? If we did that could we continually port a new town to subsequent versions of the map? Which is airbase is preferred for their mainbase? the SW one?

Panthera, yes beautiful and claustrophobic and so real, but too small for domi, surely? Every time I go there I end up spending hours on the racetrack? :D

Everon? Too small, I'm guessing?

Poda, not seen it, will check it out today.

Please discuss further. :)

RE: Which island is next for Rhapsody coop? - Added by Tankbuster about 5 years ago

OK, I've had a fly around Podagorsk. It's the most finished and polished island I've ever seen.

I adore the canal/river through the middle with dams at either end and the railway line that goes off to the north. But I'm going to level similar criticisms at it like I did at Duala. For Dom, it's too small, and the north of this map is empty of towns.

I keep coming back to Duala. It's only got space for 3 real routes, maybe 4, but it might be the best we have, Marrom is clearly big enough, but a long way off. Icebreakr says he's not working on Duala right now, so we might have to work with what we have there.

RE: Which island is next for Rhapsody coop? - Added by Bushlurker about 5 years ago

he doesn't say anything too controversial

No, not really... I'm just fairly scathing about almost everyones work!
He he.... not really... mostly either techie island-making observations, or entirely subjective aesthetics comments really...
Ah weel (as they say north of Carlisle :))... I don't actually really have much to add at this time... the debate continues - in another thread mostly, so I'll have something to say there instead...
Meantime - thanks for adding me to the Team guys - more than happy to help out where I can, though my expertise is mostly in obscure areas...

B

I think what we know is that there's no island totally suited to Dom AND the players want a wider range to play in MP, so we shouldn't ignore Domi, but we should start to look to make and play new stuff.

(1-4/4)