1.17 comments/suggestions

Added by blackdog about 6 years ago

Great progress so far. I will start a list of additional things in here as I find them.

• can you add saving=0; to the description.ext by default? it will prevent the game from saving the mission when editing with multiplayer mission editor.

Replies (6)

RE: 1.17 comments/suggestions - Added by sbsmac about 6 years ago

thanks - good catch. Forgive my ignorance though but what's the multiplayer editor ? Sounds most interesting !

RE: 1.17 comments/suggestions - Added by blackdog about 6 years ago

#1 - sorry for the late reply
#2 - sorry for not adding any more inputs recently :)

By multiplayer editor, I mean the editor that you can use to create maps on your own personal hosted server (so when you click "new game" and edit a mission in the server browser). I use it to make sure that all the slots and stuff are working right.

Another thing that needs to be done is that the C&H flag cap time must be lowered to about 5 seconds. The current 30 second thing has players acting as sitting ducks in bunkers for half a minute - way too long... (I'm not sure if you changed it in the newer version or not because I haven't had time to test it)

Thanks,

Brian

No problem at all - I appreciate any feedback you can give on whatever schedule :-)

Multiplayer editor

Yes, I just found out about this yesterday - had been using singleplayer editor and a dedicated client for debug up to now so hopefully things should get much easier now !

Another thing that needs to be done is that the C&H flag cap time must be lowered to about 5 seconds.

The good news is that is already supported - just put

CTF_objectiveHoldTime=5;

in your ctfConfig.sqf file.

V1.19 now has a much more flexible (and hence complicated) objectives system for C&H - you get set up objectives which only score if actively held, specify the initial ownership of an objective, and set up objectives which have to be destroyed to be neutralised.

RE: 1.17 comments/suggestions - Added by Xeno about 6 years ago

sbsmac wrote:

Multiplayer editor

Yes, I just found out about this yesterday - had been using singleplayer editor and a dedicated client for debug up to now so hopefully things should get much easier now !

Uhm, testing stuff in the MP editor is not the same as testing on a dedicated server.

In the MP editor environment you are both at the same time, server and client (same like playing in a hosted environment).
Things that work in this environment may not work on a dedicated server simply because there is no strict separation between client and server. Often people wonder why it worked nicely in a hosted environment but not on a dedicated server anymore.

You can test the same things in the normal editor, no need to start the MP editor. For MP stuff that should also work on a dedicated server the MP editor is a no go!

Btw, isServer is also true in SP or the normal editor :)

Yes, I'm aware of the difference in partitioning :-) The advantage that the MP editor has for me is that respawn, lobby dialogs, and scoring* work correctly. The round-trip effort of editing a script file and just hitting 'restart' is much less than creating a pbo, dropping it into the dedi missions folder, restarting the mission on the client etc etc.

Actually most of my debugging can be done SP because I've been careful to enforce a strict discipline of server vs client code. SP mode has one big advantage which is that time-acceleration can be used - useful when testing things like objectives capture etc.

Edit - of course I mean score/addScore rather than underlying gamemode scoring which is MP agnostic and works fine in SP.

RE: 1.17 comments/suggestions - Added by Xeno about 6 years ago

Yup, for testing score and respawn it's ok.

Btw, has anybody tested if addScore works on clients too with 1.03 ? Or has it still to be executed on the server to get a result ?

(1-6/6)